Thursday, September 26, 2019

Joe Abercrombie's THE FIRST LAW


 Back in 2016, one of my favorite artists, Daniel Krall (One Plus One, House of Night, Doom Cannon) , posted two incredible drawings of characters from Joe Abercrombie 's THE FIRST LAW trilogy, Ferro Maljinn and Logen Ninefingers. I was so intrigued (to say the least), that I went out and bought the books the very next day.
The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, and Last Argument of Kings were the first sword & sorcery novels I'd read in over twenty years, and they reconciled me with a genre I'd all but turned my back on, in spite of my love for rpgs (MERP, D&D) and a handful of fantasy novels (Michael Moorcock's Elric, David Eddings' The Belgariad, Weiss & Hickman's Dragonlance Saga, etc... sorry, I haven't read George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire yet, and I was never a Tolkien fan. Once the only character I cared about died at the end of Fellowship of the Ring, I kinda lost interest in LoTR).
I was immediately captivated by Mr. Abercrombie's characters, universe, and unique writing style, and I promised Dan I would try drawing some of my favorite characters. Three years later, I finally got around to keeping my promise. A couple of weeks ago I posted some daily drawings on my Instagram and Facebook pages, to get me back into the swing of things for Inktober (if I end up deciding to throw my hat in this year).


Logen Ninefingers, the Bloody-Nine

Ferro Maljinn

Inquisitor Glokta

Jezal dan Luthar

Yulwei, the Fourth of the Magi

Yulwei (pencilled version)

The finished, inked drawings

What I used to draw everything: 
Yasutomo Sumi ink, a sketchpad of Danish paper( from the local Flying Tiger), and a Winsor & Newton Series 7 #2 sable brush

Now go read the books! :) 

No comments: