Tuesday, June 23, 2009

C is for Captain America


When I was about five years old, I was at the local grocery store with my Mom and I begged her to buy me this comic book… it was, if I remember right, a copy of Captain America no. 193 drawn by Jack Kirby, and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. Oddly enough, I didn’t read very many Captain America comics after that (with the exception of Mike Zeck's memorable work on the title back in the early 1980’s), but Cap will always hold a special place in my heart, because he was the hero of the first comic book I ever read.

The above illustration is a commission I did last fall, inspired by Jack Kirby and Jim Steranko’s unforgettable action scenes when Cap would wipe the floor with a room full of heavily-armed HYDRA agents without breaking a sweat.

No comments: